Saturday, December 20, 2014

Old World Santa - miniature

Old World Santa
Acrylic on canvas, 5x5
I started this vintage Santa painting with a watercolor wash - only with thinned down acrylic instead f watercolor.  You can see the movement of the paint over the canvas in the sky and hills.  Building up layers on the focal areas, I then mixed up the titanium white acrylic with the molding paste for the drifts of snow, beard, and fur trim of Santa's outfit.  When mixing these two mediums together, the texture is grainy, and the application with the knife feels different than the paste alone. What I like is that the paste already has the color I want, and I don't have to paint over it, often times missing the low areas with my brush.  Perhaps I'll change up the mix a bit next time....just to see what happens!  This painting makes 721 in 721 days in this busy Christmas season!

No comments:

Post a Comment