Thursday, January 15, 2015

Bubble Baby

Bubble Baby
Oil on panel, 8x10
sold
This beautiful baby is my pure joy to paint on this day!  The grand-daughter of a dear friend, this little darling is captured while in the bath - with bubbles gathered around her like a garment!  First sketching her out with pastels on a wood panel, I then started laying in the paint.  Warming the background to contrast with the bubbles, and also create harmony with the skin tones, I then started with the eyes.  I do this in almost all portraits.  Eyes first, then I work out from there to the nose, forehead, mouth and shape of face.  Pushing and pulling the paint, finally the portrait emerges as the sweet likeness I chase.  I love doing portrait work, and don't do nearly enough of it - perhaps that will be one of my New Year's resolutions........this painting is painting number 747 in 747 days, and Day 16 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow that is one adorable tot! Completely beautiful, and those colors! You are an inspiration with your continued painting! I must admit, after going through last January (and into February), I gave up painting until this January came again. I hope to continue this time! Sometimes long days at my job make it hard to want to pull out the paints, though. We do what we can. :)

    ReplyDelete