Sunday, January 11, 2015

Cabin by the Winter Stream

Cabin by the Winter Stream
Oil on panel, 8x6
sold
The first layer of this painting was done with heat set oils.  This kind of paint does not dry, ever.  It must be set with a heat gun or in the oven.  If you get too close with that heat, the paint can bubble up in a strange fashion, which can not be corrected.  It is a cool, and expensive medium which does not mix with other mediums.  Once completely dry, I painted the final layer with traditional oils.  I used both brush and palette knife, and switched my blue from ultramarine to prussian.  Perhaps I am just biased towards my oils.......This painting makes 743 in 743 days, and Day 12 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Love the painting and would be interested in hearing more about the heat set oils. I've never heard of them, but they sound like they could do some amazing things! By the way, you have the same background on your blog as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest, Doris. Here is the url for the Genesis heat set oils - their website will give you all of the info you need :)
      http://www.genesisartistcolors.com/

      Delete