Saturday, January 3, 2015

January Blue Jay

January Blue Jay
Watercolor on 300lb paper, 9x6
purchase here
I have many watercolor paints that I have not yet used, so today, I tried a new one.  The color is Daniel Smith's Carbazole Violet, which I mixed here with indigo to get some wonderful winter shades.  I don't have any violets on my palette - but  this one just might make the cut!  Working on my favorite weight of paper - 300lb, I am using a block to paint on.  Once the paper is dry, I slip in a flat palette knife and separate the top sheet from the others.  Looking forward to tonight's snow - painting number 735 in 735 days, Day 4 of this January's 30 Day Painting Challenge.

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous blue jay, Tammie. Your paintings always are such a delight to view. You got the cold look you were going for. If you get real snow in the next day or so, I hope you can just paint from inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is so beautiful and a wonderful background you created too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tammie. Thank you for the very nice comment on my blog site. Your paintings are absolutely lovely! Have fun with the 30 day challenge !
    Laurie Johnson Lepkowska

    ReplyDelete
  4. the intensity of the blues with the neutrals all around is very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful. I love blue jays! So happy the short breads turned out and everyone loved them!! We only make them once a year but I still have a tin of heart shapes that will last for Valentines day! It was my grandmother recipe. Happy New Year!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete