Monday, January 12, 2015

Little Church by Winter Creek

Little Church by Winter Creek
Oil over acrylic on wood panel, 8x6
original sold - print available
I am playing with technique today - namely, negatively painting the trees.  I first start with an acrylic underpainting, with the tree mass and sky darker than it will ultimately be.  Going in with a brush, I start with the true sky colors, negatively painting the trees as I go.  I really like the effect!  What is left is energetic, and much more lifelike than painting each branch and twig.  Plus, the edges are softer, working well with the distance and mood of this painting. I have only used a little palette knife on this one, layering the oils over acrylics added all of the depth I desired.  Painting number 744 in 744 days, and Day 13 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I thought painting a picture a day for 30 days would be a challenge and I can't imagine painting a picture a day for over 2 years - wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I never thought that first 30 day challenge would lead me here :)

      Delete