Friday, January 23, 2015

Watching

Watching
Oil on canvas panel, 5x7
purchase here
Yesterday, I stopped by daughter's house with my grandson for a quick change after the morning at the gym.  In the corner window of her kitchen, this beautiful cat perched - overlooking all that was taking place in the yard beyond the glass.  So striking was his color and the light, that I took a few quick photos - knowing I would want to paint him immediately!  He is the brother to our cat, Captain - and he is far more snooty and bossy than his brother.  He is in fact, the king of his domain - and he knows it.  My first chance to paint him was this afternoon.  A brief painting window opened up after watching Alastair for a while.  New on the palette today - indian yellow and indian red.  These gorgeous Gamblin colors are used in the darker areas of the yellow fur, and the translucency is luscious!  I am going to have fun exploring this color in all sorts of compositions.  In the background, I have been pretty free and liberal with the ultramarine violet, which is also very translucent.  I have used the Gamblin grays in this painting, too.  I love that the very use of them speeds up the drying time on any painting - plus the ease of cutting right to the bones of a gray, where I can then easily tint in the direction I want it to go.  A real short cut in painting!  This is painting number 755 in 755 days, and Day 24 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

6 comments:

  1. So cute, thank you for linking this to Feline Art Friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow just started following your blog! 755 paintings in 755 days! AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cat! And your technical knowledge is also inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow yes, he's beautiful! And I love the expression on his face. I love seeing cats sitting on window-sills, observing the world around them....

    ReplyDelete