Thursday, February 19, 2015

Cabin in the Winter Woods

Cabin in the Winter Woods
Oil on panel, 6x8
purchase here
The first layer of this painting is painted with Genesis heat set oils.  The theory behind this paint is that they never dry, not until you set them with heat.  They are pretty pricey, and I found myself using this paint sparingly.  You can only use their medium with the paints, but I don't normally use it, so this did not affect me.  The paints are thinner than my normal oils, which could also contribute to the thin layer.  Once cured with heat, I painted over with my regular oil paints using brush and palette knife.  I like the depth achieved with the thin layer as the underpainting, and the thick marks of the palette knife.  I've used a different color theme for this winter landscape, too.  I've pushed the warms to orange brown and the shadows towards the ultramarine blue deep.  The peachy highlight tones are a new fav found in Door County - Gamblin's caucasian skin.  It is also great for that winter foliage hit by sunlight.  The cabin in the background is no more than a bit of eye candy for those who follow the stream leading to it.  I am lucky to have gotten this one finished today!  With overlapping events all day long - I have pieced this one together with short bursts of time!  I'm so thankful to call this one done, so I can head off to meet some friends for dinner!  I don't like having to come back to finish a painting late at night! Painting number 782 in 782 days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment