Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Sailing the Ocean Blue

Sailing the Ocean Blue
Oil on hardboard panel, 7x5
purchase here
Some days, I pick up my brushes and just feel like painting a certain subject.  Today, I was longing for warm seas and vintage sailing.  I have added some grumbacher's greenish umber for the depth in the ocean, as well as my new fav Rembrandt's ultramarine blue deep.  I've used loose strokes to bump up the movement in sky and water, with choppy highlight strokes to lift the waves.  The primed pale yellow of the panel pops through, adding warmth to the cool blues and greens.  It is important to ground water vessels with a dark shadow crease at the base of the ship.  Without it, the boat will seem to be pasted onto the water, instead of sitting in it.  Painting number 781 in 781 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment