Sunday, February 22, 2015

Two Ships Sailing

Two Ships Sailing
Oil on panel, 7x5
original sold - print available here
Of all the colors in the skies, I think the sunsets are most challenging.  The bold, vibrant hues seem so unnatural on the panel - and I find myself trying to reign them in!  I lay the water colors in right beside each other, stroke by stroke, careful to not mix as orange and purple will soon turn to mud.  I then take the edge of a flat palette knife through the highlight color, placing it down on the dark brushstrokes and lifting with one movement.  This creates a thick "wave" that seems to crest, and I use a plastic knife that I can curve gently as I place the mark. I think I will do a few more sunsets until I really feel comfortable with them!  Painting number 785 in 785 days.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting technique! Your sunset looks great ands makes me long for summer .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! The colours and light are so great in this, all your works are filled with the beauty of nature, you have such a gift!

    ReplyDelete