Saturday, February 28, 2015

Vintage Peonies

Vintage Peonies
Oil on masonite, 12x18
purchase here
The day started off with a great piyo strength class - made challenging by using the heaviest kettle bell I have ever used!  My back is already feeling it!  Next, I was right off to Alan's boy scout Pinewood Derby - where his car came in 3rd place, and his little brother's came in first of the "friends and family" category (since he is too young to join, yet)!  The snow started falling earlier than predicted, and the cars and roads were covered before the race was over.  After a quick lunch out with Mike, it was home to get busy on my weekly theme of peonies.  I am in a nostalgic mood today, and that is flowing right through my brush and onto the panel!  In painting each petal, I have used the brushstroke to move the paint to the form, curving as the petal curves.  It is important to accurately paint where the light hits, as well as where the shadow forms - for this entirely shapes the flower.  As I work, I already have the next two paintings working itself out in my mind.  I have had a whole afternoon of uninterrupted working time - amazing!  Michael and Michaela have been on the other side of the state today for the Vex State Competition, where Michaela's team won the Excellence Award, and Michael's team placed first. Great day for all family members for winning competitions!  The weather is so bad though, that the kids have to find a place to stay overnight, as the bus driver thinks it is too hazardous to get home.  Painting number 791 in 791 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment