Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Daffodil Pair in Palette Knife

Daffodil Pair in Palette Knife
Oil on canvas, 6x4
auction - bid here
Loose and free are the strokes in this painting - just like the daffodils tossed by the wind today!  Sometimes a mood strikes me - and I just want to explore a certain aspect of painting.  The palette knife has been drawing me in these recent days, and I love manipulating the knife to create the different planes of this painting.  The knife can add a very hard, raised edge to a petal or pull out and obscure background foliage - only hinting at the masses.  I've used quite a bit of Gamblin's Radiant Yellow here - it is the strongest, most opaque yellow on the daffodils.  Painting number 809 in 809 days.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a fantastic painting! You've really captured the light and brought out the daffodils with the shadows behind.

    ReplyDelete