Friday, March 6, 2015

Late Winter Glow

Late Winter Glow
Oil on panel, 10x8
This painting has a secret - it started life as a different winter landscape.  The first one was painted with Genesis heat-set oils, and the paint was thin.  It was one that I was never really happy with, so when looking for substrates tonight (as I have still not primed my panels) I pulled it out.  Since it was also a winter landscape, many of the colors work well for this layer.  Part of the creek follows the same line and the glow of sky and water are from the original.  There was a time when I heavily textured my panels - and this can easily be seen here.  It grabs the paint in unpredictable, gritty ways, which is invigorating - especially with the snow.  Lots of texture here, on this painting, number 797 in 797 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment