Sunday, March 8, 2015

Poetic Poppies

Poetic Poppies
Oil on wood panel, 5x7
auction - bid here
So much of painting begins with a feeling.  This morning, the brush strokes rolled off the brush in soft, gentle waves.  With a very busy day ahead - full of family, cooking and cleaning, I needed a little quiet time to myself - to express.  Choosing a small size (as time is of the essence) I first look inside myself to see what I FEEL like painting.  I just painted poppies yesterday, bright, happy, cheerful blooms.  Today, feeling more withdrawn, I am looking for calm, gentle and delicate.  So, I am using the same subject matter but handling it in a more subdued way.  There is quite a bit of texture here, as I have used the palette knife throughout to push and pull the paint at my whim.  The palette is cooler and softer, and the composition is more airy than yesterday's poppies.  I think I will call this one done.  We are having Mike's birthday gathering today, so this little bit of painting time is my therapeutic "art fix" before jumping into the chaos.  It is simply relaxing to pull from within and create, and then go forth and pull together a family dinner.  It is like yoga with brushes and oils!  Where would I be without art?  Probably a loony bin.  Painting number 799 in 799 days - wowza, tomorrow makes 800!

No comments:

Post a Comment