Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Tranquil Waters

Tranquil Waters
Oil on wood panel, 14x11 - purchase here
I wanted to paint a creek when we landed at the private estate paint. It looked as though they had damed up a creek to form the lake, so I hiked way into the tall grass and woods to see what the inlet looked like.  Brush was too dense and the light too dark for a good painting.  So I headed the opposite direction to see if the row of distant trees led to water.  After a long hike through a corn field and some very wet terrain - this gorgeous scene opened up from a narrow deer trail through dense poison ivy.  It was breath-taking!  I hiked back to the car for my gear, and headed back.  An hour had elapsed since arriving, and I got to work.  Almost finished, I heard something approaching me from the creek bank, which dropped 20 feet from the edge which I was near.  I started talking to it, not wanting to surprise a bobcat - as there were all kinds of tracks around.  Crackling continued over the dry brush, and began to move as it headed towards me.  It was a snake more than 5 feet long that passed within 2 feet of me!  It looked like a water moccasin!  I watched it until it was gone, and got back to work.  THEN, I heard the same noise coming up the bank - only louder, like it was a heavier snake.  I decided right then that my painting was done and I quickly packed my gear and headed back to civilization!  Painting number 851 in 851 days - I should have named this "snake waters"!
On location

Honorable Mention Award

No comments:

Post a Comment