Sunday, April 5, 2015

Tulip Drama

Tulip Drama
Oil on wood panel, 5x7
purchase here
A couple of days ago, one lone orange tulip opened up - my very first one of the spring.  I meant to paint it that day, but life got in the way.  Here it is, two days later, and several had opened up - making a much better composition and set up for painting!  The bright , cheerful orange shade was perfectly displayed against the dark background this early morning.  After sketching, I blocked in the colors loosely with a large bristle brush.  After getting my darks in - mainly ultramarine blue deep and greenish umber, I worked out towards the upper corner, adding in yellow and sap green as needed - only suggesting the background foliage and blooms. Once all masses were in like I wanted, I started having fun with my palette knife, cutting in with bold color from the edges of petals.  I next loaded up that knife with straight ultramarine blue deep, and cut from the edges of leave and stem for the dark background. This created a dark that pulled back from the flowers, creating a wonderful depth.  I normally pop my brightest highlights at the very end, and so I knifed on a little radiant yellow and cad yellow medium for the thickest final touches.  Happy Easter to you all, it has been a day full of food, family and egg hunting!  Painting number 827 in 827 days :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Tammie, what amazing tulips! Your painting is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammie! I LOVE how much life these beautiful tulips have! Thank you for sharing your process in creating your painting. I gained some insight! The impasto effect + vivid colors + composition really pulled me in :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete