Monday, May 4, 2015

Into the Secret Garden Again

Into the Secret Garden Again
Mixed media, 11x14 - sold
This was my final painting of the Augusta Plein Air Festival.  In the afternoon light, the foliage and blooms of this wisteria glowed against the shade of the garden beyond.  This historic house of H.S. Clay is now a beautiful bed and breakfast, full of charm and an amazing breakfast that simply must be experienced!  This scene was the first to grab my attention when first arriving into town, and it took me the entire event before I could find the time to paint it!  I first sketched this out on an acrylic underpainting - which was a loosely stroked montage of blue, alizarin crimson and green, so I started with a dark surface and worked to the light.  I then used a palette knife to add the texture of the foliage and blooms - where the light was catching the most.  After this step was dry - not long on a warm day, I started in with the oils.  The whole process created a rich depth to the landscape.  This is painting number 856 in 856 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment