Thursday, May 28, 2015

Morning in the Wedding Garden

Morning in the Wedding Garden
Mixed media on wood panel, 11x14
Overland Park Arboretum - Stems
purchase here
This early morning painting is an experiment in mixed media.  I first washed on a dark underpainting with acrylics - in red, blue and green.  This dries quickly, so I then sketched out my garden with a white pastel stick.  Next, using a plastic palette knife, I lay down the foliage and blooms with molding paste.  As this is drying, I start with the background and my oils.  Once the paste is hard enough, I can start over it with my oils, as well.  I am certainly stepping outside of my comfort zone here, and I can't quite decide if it is too dark.  It is not my normal, but it definitely has a mood all it's own. We'll see how I feel in a few days with this one! Painting number 880 in 880 days.
on location

No comments:

Post a Comment