Thursday, May 7, 2015

Pink and Violet Iris

Pink and Violet Iris
Oil on canvas panel, 6x8
purchase here
These are my first iris to bloom - and they are beauties!  I have always thought them challenging to paint.  With their papery stands and falls, translating that texture in oils can be tricky.  I sketched out the whole composition, trying to be more accurate than normal on the shapes of these petals.  Next, I cut in with the background - all of it - before adding any color to the blooms.  I mixed quin. magenta with alizarin crimson for both the stands and the falls, adding much more white to the stands.  Then, I pushed them towards the warm and cool as it appeared on the actual petals, illuminating them with the diffused light of the rainy day.  The light had changed drastically by the time I took the easel shot - and the sun popped out for 5 minutes!  I think I may try to do another in the late afternoon tomorrow - to capture how different the colors are in the sunshine!  That is, if we have sunshine tomorrow!  Painting number 859 in 859 days.
on location

No comments:

Post a Comment