Sunday, May 3, 2015

Pretty in Pink

Pretty in Pink
Oil on unstretched canvas, 4x4
purchase here
My pink tulips are now blooming - and although they are on the small side, they add a wonderful cool hue to the garden.  I have used both brush and knife to paint this small 4x4 inch painting.  First, I sketch out the composition as I want it, and then start laying in those colors until the canvas if full.  Then, I work with the knife, skimming over the first layer with new color - either darker or lighter then the first layer.  I pulled an ultramarine blue over the deep green, and white over the pinks to define the edges of the petals.  To add interest, I have popped in a few little touches of color - radiant turquoise, naples yellow pale and radiant magenta.  The key is to only lightly drop these in, too much negates the energy of having just a little.  Painting number 855 in 855 days.

1 comment: