Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Blooming Hydrangea

Blooming Hydrangea
Oil on wood panel, 6x4 - purchase here

Today finds me longing to paint the hydrangea.  Their large blooms are showy - and SO paintable!  With the overcast day, their colors are subdued, more peaceful in their setting.  As this is another very busy day, I have chosen a small wood panel - only 6x4 inches in size.  With palette knife in hand, and start laying in that paint quickly. with the side of the blade.  As I near completion, I then use only the tip of this small pie shaped knife to lay in those individual petals with thick, juicy strokes.  One or two strokes at a time, and then I reload with fresh paint.  Otherwise, the top layer mixes with the bottom layer, creating a mushy mess that is not worthy of those beautiful blooms!  Painting number 912 in 912 days.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful flowers! I don't have the patience (nor talent) to do what you do. :)

    ReplyDelete