Sunday, June 28, 2015

Palette Knife Sailing

Palette Knife Sailing
Oil on wood panel, palette knife, 4x6
purchase here

Yesterday’s watercolor left me want to apply thick, juicy oils with a palette knife!  So, today, that is exactly where I head!  Working small, as I am squeezing in this painting time between yard work and a bridal shower for my niece, I start on a 4x6 panel.  First applying a thin layer of color with my knife, I then skim that surface with thicker paint.  I really like the way the colors mixed in the sky with the knife - I am going to have to try more of this!  New on the palette today - Gamblin's radiant turquoise.  It is the very opaque light turquoise paint that is lightly stroked into the sky and water reflections.  For that very sunlit yellow color - I have used Gamblin's radiant yellow as well as lemon cad yellow.  These little pops of color add sparkle to the sunset.  It is SO fun to completely paint this using the knife - it is a great exercise for improving palette knife skills! There is so much to how pulling the knife in different ways will make different marks on the panel. I think perhaps the trickiest parts were pulling the paint on either side of the sails, and the sails themselves. I love coming back to the palette knife in this way. Maybe I'll continue in this strain for a few days....This is painting number 910 in 910 days.

1 comment: