Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Peonies in Red

Peonies in Red
Oil on wood panel, 6x4
purchase here
The second painting of my late night rendezvous with my easel, these glorious red peonies pop up in my garden every year.  The very first start came from a neighbor's yard, a hidden treasure we surfaced when working on her flower beds.  I knew it was a peony - yet it hadn't bloomed in that spot as long as she had lived there.  The delicate light center is a surprise with petals so rich in color, and these late bloomers are the last of my peonies to bloom.  I'm using smaller brushes on this small painting, and using them to add texture and direction to the loose strokes.  Taking out my palette knife, I add that thick highlight paint for that final pop.  I am no longer looking for a small palette knife, I have learned how to make my large ones work.  I simply stay up on the tip of them when applying that paint!  Painting number 899 in 899 days, and I really feel like staying up all night to paint!  But alas, my mornings start very early :)

No comments:

Post a Comment