Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Red Kayaks

Red Kayaks
Oil on wood, 9x12
Kangaroo Lake, Wisconsin

Resting on the shore of Kangaroo Lake, these bold red kayaks caught my artist’s eye immediately.  No other color is as beautiful against the green grass of the shore - and I knew I must paint it.  The sun was heading to the west, and it’s golden glow was shooting through the trees - so I had to lay down those hues first.  Light is especially fleeting towards sunset, and I had to work quickly.  This is a special place, and I have painted at this location each year I have come to Door County.  Our loft is tucked into the woods, right across from here - so it is only a quick walk with the gear.  A sorority gathering of friends and husbands sang nearby as guitar music drifted our way, and a campfire was just getting started.  What could be better than this?  This quick sunset painting is my 940th painting in 940 days.  I don't think I will ever tire of painting this peninsula :)
sun has set, boat has been moved, but painting is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment