Monday, November 16, 2015

Counting Sheep

Counting Sheep
Acrylic on masonite, 5x5 - sold
I simply love the sweet innocence of a sleeping child!  This is fast becoming one of my favorite painting subjects!  Using only titanium white and Mars black, I have painted this subject in true value study style.  Working from the photo below, I cropped in tight on the face working the large planes.  I normally use one large, scrubby filbert right up to the end, where I switch to a smaller cat's tongue for final definition.  I am beginning to like the whole dry brush technique - what was completely foreign two weeks ago is now very natural.  As for not using any medium - I don't miss it.  I don't use any with my oils, so the transition in the acrylics went smoothly - and the intensity of the hues is so much better!  Two more weeks of "portrait month" - where will tomorrow take me?  Painting number 1049 in 1049 days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment