Saturday, November 14, 2015

Girl in White Hat

Girl in White Hat
Acrylic on masonite, 5x5
(4th 15 minutes,,,)
purchase here
1st 15 minutues

On this assignment, the task was to study the reference photo for 2 minutes, then close it, and paint from memory 15 minutes.  I tried to lay in the masses as I remembered them.  Once to this stage I was not sure how to proceed, so I let the dogs out, fixed myself a cup of tea, and started a back up on my computer!


2nd 15 minutes

Yikes!  My head placement is much too low on my panel!  Trying to engrave the details of placement, light and shadow - I stared at the photo for 2 more minutes (thank goodness for the timer on my phone!)  I then made adjustments, especially trying to get the angle of the hat just right....but as you can see, I just couldn’t remember quite how it went.  I remembered values, but the edges eluded me....as they did for most of this exercise!


3rd 15 minutes

After another two solid minutes of studying, I finally began to feel like MAYBE I could find my way out of the fog!  At this point, I am wishing I had chosen a photo with more light on the face, but t is too late for that - and I must try to get the nuances of this light under the brim.  Bringing the hat into a better shape - which has taken me three attempts so far, helps me to anchor some of the deep shadows of the hair.  I spend my full 15 minutes painting this time, wondering if I will be anywhere close after the final 15!     Oh - and I did not realize I took a blurry photo, but alas - it is the only one I took so I have included it!


4th 15 minutes


Knowing this is my last crack at this, I study those little details that close in on a likeness, and am still trying to get those elusive values right!  This has been frustrating, and I can clearly see that some “brain” supplements are in order!  I can see how important this exercise is to improving ability, I simply have a long way to go.....!  After finishing this last 15 minutes, I think this is okay.  I am off on the eye shapes and the nose, and I wish I had positioned her on the panel more like I had cropped the photo. The composition would have been better.  I also should have pushed the values a bit more in her hair, as it looks flat.  I feel like I have run a race, and I think it is time for a glass of wine.  Maybe I’ll like it better in a couple of hours :)  Painting number 1047 in 1047 days.
1st 15 minutes
2nd 15 minutes
3rd 15 minutes
yikes!  blurry!
photo reference

No comments:

Post a Comment