Saturday, January 2, 2016

Buzzy Bee

Buzzy Bee
Acrylic on masonite, 5x5
purchase here

While waiting for Michaela to renew her license, I went browsing through a couple of the antique shops on Main Street.  The wonderful, old bumblebee was sitting on a sideboard, begging to be painted!  His pull string is gone, paint weathered and worn around the edges - but oh, SO full of vintage charm!  This little piece was a joy to paint!  I really love painting these old toys!  It is hard to believe I have not come to these little darlings before now!  I am still working with a limited palette, yellow oxide, indanthrene blue, cad red light, cad red medium, red oxide and alizarin crimson - and black and white, of course.  I did add a tiny bit of cad yellow light on the bright yellow of the wings, as yellow oxide just doesn’t get to the bright yellow of the plastic wings.  I adore the way that limited palette works for the bulk of these paintings.  It really leads to strong color harmony, and I am getting that vintage feel, too.  I have to thank the red oxide for that.  Love that color!   Painting number 1096 in 1096 days and day 2 of the current 30 Day Painting Challenge.

13 comments:

  1. Another fantastic wooden toy. So much character and strong color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. vibrant colours, luv the macro presentation

    Happy PPF

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, what a bee-eautiful piece. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. your use of subject matter, colour and form is exquisite. I'm in love with your work. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. another darling vintage toy painting Tammie! I too have discovered what a great color that red oxide is. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job painting this cute toy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wooden toys do have such a special vintage feel. So many memories. Lovely painting. Happy New year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous painting and such a wonderful model.
    He looks a cheeky chap that has masses of tales to tell if only he could talk. Love the colour palette too Tammie,
    Happy PPF to you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the bumble! You have a very nice style. Glad I found you. I am new to the blogging world and happy to find new art friends. I am happy to say I am a new follower. Dea xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this even better than the antique doggie toy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These toys are amazing!! You have captured them for all time!! I love it...and the trolls are amazing...my daughters favorite toy of all time!! She still has all of hers and will be turning 30 in a few weeks!! Stunning work.... love it!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete