Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Charlie Cat

Charlie Cat
Acrylic on masonite, 6x6

After two frustrating attempts at paintings, one a cloudscape and one a large, rainy evening scene, I am turning to something familiar - Charlie!  It is rare that I start a landscape - and dislike the progress. I will look at them both tomorrow, and see what needs to be done, but as for tonight - I just didn’t feel like working on them!  But this painting, I LOVE!  I love his expression, and the languid way he rests like royalty!  I am experimenting with a new tool tonight - the Princeton Catalyst.  It is a flexible, silicone like, thick palette knife head on a long brush handle - and it is awesome!  Not only can I pull it across the surface for normal palette knife marks, but it retains paint and allows me to “paint” with it, leaving textural marks (like the hair).  I bought two of these, and have only used the chisel edged one so far, and I am impressed!  Can’t wait to see what else this tool can do!  Painting number 1128 in 1128 days.

14 comments:

  1. What do you mean -'he rests like royalty'?? He IS royalty, that is evident at a glance. Fantastic painting of your gorgeous Charlie. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fur invites petting, royalty or not. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning Tammie! You can paint anything..wow. He is handsome for sure!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely cat--I have cats on mine this week too. Your cat is elegant and serene--so nice. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. His fur is so inviting looking, I can feel the softness with my finger tips! A great portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie looks wonderful. I too am impressed at how you achieved the fur.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlie is magnificent! I enjoyed the colours and fur!
    I like how you didn't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous Charlie. He does look like a king!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and for the lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful portrait of a beautiful cat. Nice rendering of the fur and I liked reading about the technique with the catalyst!

    ReplyDelete