Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Red Bandana

Red Bandana
Acrylic on masonite, 6x6

This man was dressed in period attire for the Buffalo Bill Days in Leavenworth, while I was attending the plein air event.  His face has so much character - I knew I would paint him!  He allowed me to take his profile shot, as well as a few others, and for today, he is my muse.  With limited time between the gym and picking up the boys, I jumped right into the color block in, using my acrylic palette.  Although I had taken these photos outside, I refrained from adding in the background color until all masses were in place.  I just wasn’t sure what color I would use ahead of time.  I ended up sticking with the true color of the landscape, as it went so well with the surrounding masses.  This study was finished in just over an hour, and I think I would like to paint him larger, and when I have more time.  I think he would make a very interesting portrait indeed!  Painting number 1142 in 1142 days.

1 comment:

  1. Stunning...a face I could study for hours... love it! Will be so cool to see the others you do!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete