Monday, March 14, 2016

After the Ride

After the Ride
Acrylic on masonite, 7x5

Oh, what a very busy Monday this has been!  I’ve squeezed so much into this day, my head is spinning!  Coming to my easel late (once again), I resist the urge to paint something easy and fast.  Staying on track, I choose another of my reenactment photos, this one with three figures - a man and two horses.  I start with a color block in of the forms, but in my haste I forgot to take a photo of the block in!  The values are always the most important part, so I work them into this first step, making all else that comes after a breeze.  The forms unfold naturally as I dry brush on the acrylics.  I am using a limited palette, and no medium or water to thin down the heavy body paints - which is what makes these paintings so rich with color.  My palette is almost to the stage of replacing the paper layer in my sta-wet palette......but I always stretch this out as long as possible!  Painting number 1167 in 1167 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment