Sunday, March 6, 2016

Standing Together

Standing Together
Acrylic on masonite, 5x7

I am working on figures in acrylic this month, and this girl with her horse are first up.  I had sketched them in pen and ink a few days ago, so I am familiar with my subject before laying paint.  Without sketching anything onto my panel, I do the color block in, careful to keep the angles and values accurate.  Next, I start looking for those tiny spots of color that round out the forms.  Since I am working small - only 5x7 inches, my marks need to be spot on.  I keep the brushwork going with the shape of each form, upwards for foreground grass or following the muscles of the horse.  Trying to keep strokes fresh and loose, I stop painting when the shapes ring of truth.  So, I am letting this one rest for today, and I’ll take a look again tomorrow and see if it calls for adjustments.  This painting makes 1159 in 1159 days.  Now, onto the next figure!
color block in

9 comments:

  1. HUGE WOOOOOW!!! Happy PPF, Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and I like the way you describe the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... this has taken shape wonderfully!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly beautiful! Happy PPF! Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just fabulous. It is interesting how you work. Have a very nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like reading about your process... your brushwork is so fabulous... love seeing every post that I visit...I don't think you have ever created something that didn't make me sigh at its loveliness... so sorry I am so late getting to visit this week!!!

    ReplyDelete