Monday, May 9, 2016

Riot of Lilacs

Riot of Lilacs
Oil on panel, 14x11
Augusta Paint Out, Gallery of Defiance

Lower street in Augusta was abloom with dogwoods and lilacs from the north end to the south.  On our Augusta paint out day, I wanted this exact composition for my painting - which meant standing in the sun, at the edge of the street.  When I opened my easel - much to my surprise - I had forgotten my palette!  I had left it in the freezer (to extend the life of my oils) - and totally forgot to get it before leaving!  I marked my lights and darks with paint straight out of the tube, before running back to Augusta Shores for my palette.  I'm so glad I did, as the light had changed before I got back, and my marks helped me to keep the light that drew me to the spot in the first place.  The light hitting the sides of the lilacs and new spring foliage was simply irresistible!  The flowering lilacs last only a short time - and I’m so glad I was able to capture them!  Painting number 1223 in 1223 days.
on location

No comments:

Post a Comment