Sunday, October 30, 2016

Phillips on Route 66

What started as a warm and sunny morning soon turned to a chilly, overcast afternoon.  I have waited years to paint this remarkable vintage gas station  - and I was not going to let the weather deter me!  This Phillips 66 used to be located on the historic Route 66, and has been relocated to Red Oak II in Carthage, Missouri.  I began this painting with a quick sketch with pastel, and followed that quickly with my paints.  Wanting to paint a 12x9, 8 had to reprime my last board, changing it from a night format to a day color.  In this case, I tried out a purple gray underpainting, thinking the color would vibrate well with the particular hues of this scene.  I like it!  It was a little challenging since I have not used this underpainting before, but I think I will try this again!   Painting number 1391 in 1391 days :)
Oil on panel, 12x9
purchase here

No comments:

Post a Comment