Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Ice Crystal Poinsettia

Oh!  How I love poinsettias!  I have never seen as many varieties as I found at Family Tree Nursery!  I simply HAD to bring two new ones home after our monthly Urban Sketchers KC event!  The centers of the petals are a pale gold gradating into a rich salmon to cherry red - stunning!  Wanting to zoom in a bit, I started my sketch with the petals, allowing them to cross the borders.  I brushed each petal with a pale yellow ochre, dropping in the reds around the edges, warming and cooling the shades as I saw them.  Once all my color was in place, I went back with a little more ink.  I'm using a Pitt pen tonight - and it is the one running out of ink!!  I have a brand new one that I've only used once  - and here I am, trying to get blood out of a turnip!  I don't have time to search for what I need, so I'll make due with what I have!  I guess I need new pens for EVERY sketch bag I have! Painting number 1789 in 1789 days.
sold

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful and festive. I see a cozy room in it's midst too!! Lovely!! I enjoy all the different coloured poinsettias too!!

    Peace Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love poinsettias too. This is a very unique and different color. Fantastic. Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them! I had once done them in glass and it's still one of my favourites! But back then I didn't know about this flower and I had drawn it without consciously knowing about it and someone told me that it's a poinsettia!!

    ReplyDelete