Friday, March 2, 2018

Coral Rose Impressions

This painting is my demo from painting class this week where we are studying palette knife strokes, and what we can do with them.  Roses are perfectly suited for the knife, as each petal can be pulled from edge to center.  Everyone brought a selection of knifes, and I brought about 20.  I found three that I really liked their marks for use with the roses.  One of my very favorites was only good for stems and leaves, leaving a line too sharp for a rounded petal. It is so good to just pull out the knives and practice pulling paint with each one, using a disposable plate.  No pressure to think about "painting", because it is a plate!  Only the knife, paint and the stroke, because it's ALL about the process.  Painting number 1869 in 1869 days.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love how you've also used the background colour as highlights on the roses and their leaves - it all works beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  2. Palette knives bring such a wonderful texture to paintings. I find them very difficult to use but seeing this beautiful example certainly makes me wonder if maybe I should try again. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rich, lush, harkening back to the past with Victorian satins...rich beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your roses, looks like you've mastered it already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the hardest flower, the royal rose! Beautifully painted. Maybe a YouTube video for us?!

    ReplyDelete