Sunday, May 20, 2018

Log Cabin Magnolias

When I scouted this location, I could not decide whether to paint this cabin with magnolias, or the blue frame house with forsythia just across the walk.  SO, I set up in the middle and painted one and then the other for this Daniel Boone quick paint!  The blooms of spring are fleeting, and it seems like they fade away before I can paint all that I see!  Since this is a quick paint, I begin by laying in masses, the lights and darks, meeting edges occasionally.  I wait until I am further along before committing to those edges.  I like to squint at this stage, allowing the painting to come together intuitively.  This is especially helpful when I'm in a hurry.  Once I near the finish, I check my edges.  Happy with this one, I turn my easel and begin another.  Love those days when I can paint two before heading back!  Painting number 1944 in 1944 days.
oil on panel, 9x12
purchase here

No comments:

Post a Comment