Friday, June 1, 2018

Light in the Woods

Seeking the cool of the deep shade, I was quickly drawn to this wooded spot.  Sneaking this painting in while Chewy was being groomed, I needed to work fast.  It wasn't long before those tiny sweat bees found me - and they were relentless!  I had sprayed for bugs before hiking in, but the bees couldn't care less.  I have some really strong stuff I keep in my easel bag, so I dotted that onto the spots they really like - behind the knees, elbows, back of neck.  They only moved to the side!  The way to handle bees of any kind is to not react to them.  They do not sting unless they are swatted at.  So, I let them land on me, walk all over, and didn't react unless I couldn't stand it - and then, I would only wave my brush at them or blow them away.  It worked.  I was never stung but it drove me crazy to have bees walking around on me!  In fact, I can still feel their little legs crawling all over my exposed skin.  Plein Air is not for sissies!  Painting number 1958 in 1958 days.
oil on panel, 9x12
purchase here

1 comment:

  1. Bees are good luck. Luck might be that they do not sting !

    ReplyDelete