Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Sunset over the Prairie

The skyscapes have been nothing short of amazing lately!  Tempted daily by their beauty - I have once again taken up my brushes to capture them!  Sunset color is so fleeting, it is always a mad dash to mark those masses, and one can never truly start until that color starts to ripen.  I try to get the blues in first, and then I begin placing that cloud color in fast and loose. As the color deepens, I adjust with thicker paint, laying those strokes on top of the previous ones, blending only where needed.  Before the color fades from the sky, I am checking all the masses, with a loose drop in of the foreground. It is normally too dark to get a photo, they never turn out right.  Maybe one day I'll be fast enough to get that shot at the end!  Painting number 2053 in 2053 days. 
oil on panel, 14x11
purchase here

1 comment: