Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Portrait Study in Black and White


On a weekend full of portrait study, it is so fun to try different colors and techniques!  Here I laid down the planes with ivory black and titanium white, adding the tiniest bit of ultramarine blue.  I arrived with my plein air set up, but am now wishing I had a few more soft brushes.  I use a lot of heavy duty workhorse brushes (Princeton Catalysts) in the field for my daily work, and only had a couple of Rosemary brushes in this box.  A softer, lighter brush is better for blending where desired. I find that I like leaving plenty of brushwork and strong strokes untouched.  This portrait journey is going to be SO FUN!  Painting number 2876 in 2876 days. 

3 comments:

  1. Your art is amazingly beautiful Tammy!
    What a beautiful portrait in black and white...wonderful piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm having so much fun studying portraiture!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! Love working in black and white! ❤

    ReplyDelete