Friday, September 21, 2012

A Dream of Hydrangeas

Early one morning before a workshop, I set out to find just the right spot to paint at the Overland Park Arboretum (during the STEMS Plein Air Event).  As I approached the beautiful iris garden, these hydrangeas bloomed in profusion!  It has been such an early year for all the flowers, that these were out a month early.  It was misty and damp as I started blocking in the masses.  This time, I worked in acrylic, fully intending to top it off with oils.  The early morning sun cast a golden glow as it rose over the tree line.  I used a little soft gel medium to add texture to the petals, laying in the colors in a loose manner.  As I neared the finish, I stepped back, took a long look, and decided the oils just weren't needed.  The effect was misty and moody - and it was time to put the brushes down.  That is one of the hardest things to know - just when to stop.

A Dream of Hydrangeas
14x18 acrylic on panel
sold

No comments:

Post a Comment