Monday, January 14, 2013

Fallen Snow

Fallen Snow
Oil on panel, 11x14
So happy to have a beautiful snow on the ground!  I am going to have a multitude of winter scenes to choose my Christmas cards from next December! It is wonderful to be ahead of the game - instead of playing catch up.  This is day 13 of the 30 day painting challenge - and I feel like I am developing a routine for consistent painting.  I knew I would be very busy today - so I stayed up late painting most of this one last night.  I put the finishing touches on this morning - and already have my next scene picked out.  One of my goals for this 30 day challenge was to improve the way I approach tree painting - adding more character and texture to the bark.  I am really loading up the paint these days - which makes this goal much more achievable.  With these last three paintings, I have returned to using no medium at all.  This allows the full thickness of the paint to build up easily on the panel.  I am still loving the Windsor Newton white - why did I ever switch?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting. Is that Titanium White? I have discovered that Zinc is very transparent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Teddy! Yes - it is titanium white. I tried the Gamblin fastmatte and an italian white when I ran out, but I sure wouldn't use them on purpose :)

    ReplyDelete