Thursday, January 24, 2013

Shakespeare by Lamplight

Shakespeare by Lamplight
Oil on panel, 11x14
I started late in the day on this one, first with a detailed sketch.  I used photo reference for the lamp (thanks, Chris!), using my own Tiffany lamp for the lighting in the interior set up.  I have always been drawn to this kind of art - but I have only just started to try my hand at it.  After the sketch, I had to stop, to later start for 30 minutes - to stop again for a meeting at the high school.  I hated to put down the brush - I was so in the zone!  By the time I returned, there were chores to finish - and I didn't go back to it.  I tried to sleep - but could not.  For three hours I tried - and I kept thinking out my next strokes, the colors, the mood.  It was hopeless, so I got up and finished this painting!  Sometimes, there is just a painting inside me that wants out so badly - I am simply forced to submit to it's will.  It is so exciting to go down this road - just as if the paintings are painting themselves and I am just along for the ride.  This is day 23 of the 30 day painting challenge - and dare I say this challenge may have changed my life?

2 comments:

  1. Tammie:
    This is just terrific. Love it. So peaceful and welcoming. No wonder it had to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Teddy! I really LOVED painting this. The whole process just sucked me in and didn't let me go, until this image emerged. Don't you love when that happens?

    ReplyDelete