Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Winter Woodpeckers

Winter Woodpeckers
Acrylic on Panel - 8x10
sold
The last of my family (in for the holidays) just left - and now it is time to turn my attentions back to painting - well, after the sledding.....  So many birds are coming to the feeders with the snow on - it is the perfect opportunity for painting them!  I used my acrylics and gel mediums to build this one up.  I love the detail I can get with my acrylics - and Golden is my favorite brand.  The pigment is truly artist grade - and I can achieve sharp detail that just isn't possible with my oils.  Starting today, I am going to enter a thirty day painting challenge for the month of January on Leslie Saeta's Slices of Life blog.  My paintings will be posted on this site, as well as the work of all other artists participating.  As of Day one - I am the 63rd artist to accept the challenge.   It will be so fun and inspirational to see what others are completing.  What a great way to start the new year :)

2 comments:

  1. I really like your birds! No snow here in Nashville but plenty of birds at my new feeder. I think birds would be really difficult to paint... yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peg! They really aren't hard - I just start by sketching the general shape, then I block in the color masses. I do have to work fast on this part - but once the basics are in, I just catch the parts of them I need as they fly back and forth. Give it a try - you may love it!

      Delete