Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Bessie's Peonies

Bessie's Peonies
Oil on panel, 12x9
I remember the day I helped dig the peony roots out of Grandma Bessie's garden, to transplant into my own.  She was always so generous with her flowers, always offering me starts of whatever she had.  She taught me so much about planting, tending and harvesting, how working in the earth with your hands was good for your soul.  Grandma is no longer with us, but every year, the countless flowers now in my garden bloom in profusion.  Each one bringing back happy memories of her.  This is the 41st day of painting each day.

4 comments:

  1. Just plain beautiful. One of these days I'm going to get to the bottom of painting florals. Hopefully mine can be just as nice as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dave, for your kind words. I really appreciate the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. This is full of light and love. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teddy! This just may be the first floral I have painted that was not in a garden setting - it was very fun!

      Delete