Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Longview Shelter Barn

Longview Shelter Barn
Oil on panel, 8x10
I started this painting at a Summit Art plein air paint-out at the Longview Farm, graciously hosted by David Gale.  The day was warm and sunny, and I was drawn to the way the light hit the south side of this grand barn.  At the time, I was using acrylics, and had completely underpainted this beautiful building.  Now that I am using primarily oils, I thought it the perfect time to go back to this piece and finish it.  I'm using a couple of new colors here, both by Terre Grezze D'Italia - antique green earth and the yellow earth.  I've used the yellow earth on several recent pieces - I like the color, which is warmer than yellow ochre.  I have never really liked yellow ochre, it is too dirty a shade for me.  The cool thing about these paints is that they are coarsely ground - and that texture shows in the strokes (especially good for earth and foliage).  I really want to work on buildings before the new plein air season gets busy in the spring.  Maybe, I'll reach the point where these buildings are easy!  34 paintings in a row........

No comments:

Post a Comment