Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pretty as the Peacock

Pretty as a Peacock
Oil on panel, 12x16
I have always wanted to paint these birds.  They are so majestic with their brilliant plumage!  It is a real challenge to do them justice with brushes and paints.  I first started with the features of the birds, before laying down any background.  I had to use four different reference photos to create the composition I wanted.  Sometimes, I just have the scene already composed in my mind - and I just need to find a little reference to back it up.......like feather color all in the right places.  I was able to get just the right color of blue with cobalt, and used my cad lemon yellow to make a green fit for his tail.  Once the birds were well underway, I started putting in heavy paint for the background - only hinting at the tree foliage behind them.  I thought this painting was finished three times - then I would see something else I wanted to change in the photo I took.  So, now, I am finally happy with where this painting rests.  This is the 39th painting in a row :)

7 comments:

  1. I would be happy with where this painting rests, too. It's simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris! This one was a great learning experience!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Thirty nine paintings in 39 days! You go girl! This piece is luscious - candy for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Sandy! Your comment makes me want to go paint some more!

      Delete
  3. This is really a quite beautiful painting (and honestly I feel like that's a huge understatement!)! I saw your work when looking at Leslie's blog, and it instantly caught my eye. I really love this piece and the fact that you are still going strong even after the challenge ended. I've had my ups and downs since then, but such is life, right? But still, this is one beautifully composed piece, the fluidity of the lines and the emotion you have just poured into each stroke is breathtaking. Great job on it and I truly hope you keep up the amazing work! You inspire me to keep trying at making this an every day challenge, and not just a month long endeavor. Thank you for that! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your kind words! Your comment actually brought tears to my eyes ( I know its corny)! Painting is such a personal thing, pouring out our souls into every piece, and then laying them bare for all to see......it can be a little intimidating. When someone else sees the worth in a little paint on wood, it is such a validation. It truly makes me want to stretch and improve my skills with each and every painting, to try harder every day. We do all have ups and downs, and sticking with it can be very difficult........oh, but the rewards can be sweet. Thank you, Melissa, for making my day :)

      Delete