Thursday, February 14, 2013

Roses and Royal Albert

Roses and Royal Albert
Oil on panel, 11x14
I absolutely adore roses - in the garden, in a vase, or on my china.  So, this Valentine's Day - I am painting roses!  I found the antique pitcher and Royal Albert teacup and saucer while antiquing, and the book is one of an old set of my favorite poetry collections.  It just makes me feel good to paint these little treasures - like I am in my own world for just a bit (interruptions and all).  I have only done a handful of florals ever - so this time spent was serious study time.  I am finding that roses are complicated and hard to paint!  That certainly means that I need more practice, and since the roses are not blooming this time of year - I will be buying roses to paint!  I feel like I am learning so much - so fast - by completing a painting every day.  There are no limits to subject matter, I only need to keep my sizes down.  I do need to sprinkle in some larger pieces, as I don't think I've painted larger than 12x16 since this painting challenge began!  This makes the 42st painting in a row - Happy Valentine's Day :)

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty. Your interior painting have a special feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Teddy! I set this one up in my bedroom in front of a south window. It was VERY tricky keeping the light - as I was interrupted for 5 hours with a guitar lesson followed by an ortho appt.! When I plan for this - I get all the light blocked in before I have to leave. As it was, I only had just over half the light in. So, maybe that special feel comes from me trying to remember just how the light was, while something completely different was sitting in front of me :)

    ReplyDelete