Monday, February 18, 2013

Shadows Across the Creek

Shadows Across the Creek
oil on panel, 11x14
I just finished this one up from the Missouri Valley Impressionist paint out yesterday at the Jesse James Farm.  I had this one roughly blocked in yesterday, and then left it on my easel for a tour of the historic house!  The long shadows cutting across this creek and up the bank on the other side called out for me to paint them.  The tree roots were twisted and tangled, dropping into the still water of the creek.  This little stream is on the way up the path to the original farmhouse.  I started with the background, working forward.  I used one of my new palette knives on the foreground tree bark and in the grassy areas to add depth and interest.  It is always fun to play with new tools!  It was so enjoyable to paint in the warm sunshine, on a beautiful day in February......I'll remember it fondly on Thursday when the ice and snow arrives!  This is painting #46 in a row :)

2 comments:

  1. Looks good, that was a beautiful creek. I know it was hard to pull away from this wonderful painting to go on the tour of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Teddy! I just updated my photo of this piece. The one I took at night was just off on the colors, not blue enough. I have had a few lately that just don't show the right values or colors - all because I don't get them finished until after dark! I need to work one day ahead - but I haven't been able to get that done, yet!

    ReplyDelete