Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Early Light on the Hillside

Early Light on the Hillside
Oil on panel, 6x12
I first painted a color study of this in plein air at my parent's house in Ohio.  Sitting on top of the hill, I looked to the right, with the river in the distance.  With early morning light and haze over the river, this view offered plenty of depth.  I only took the bare minimum for supplies, my palette, small panels, brushes and safflower oil.  I used a little foldable footstool to sit on, while my palette and oil were on the ground beside me.  I held the panel in the place an easel would keep it.  I didn't know if I would even have time to paint, but I was hopeful.  Each morning, I would come out to enjoy the early morning quiet before the day took me to hospital waiting rooms, cafeterias, and long hours away.  Just painting this today from my study, brought back the feeling of peace and tranquility on that hillside.  It is a visual journal for me that brings back the moment, the feelings, the prayers.  This place will forever be a place of peace and reflection for me.  This painting is the 75th painting in 75 days.

3 comments:

  1. Wish to be there, on your painting...
    so nice peacefull place

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Natalie! This is a very special place - so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, feels like a misty morning with the sun breaking through.

    ReplyDelete