Wednesday, March 20, 2013

First Redbuds of Augusta

First Redbuds of Augusta
Oil on panel, 16x12
Eight years ago, a dear friend of mine talked me into attending my first plein air event.  Actually, Teddy Jackson had to twist my arm to get me to go for the weekend.  It was so hard to abandon my family and all of my obligations for something so frivolous.  The very first time, we parked high on a hill (where now a fire station resides) to paint the beautiful overlook of hills and farms and vineyards.  It was cold, windy and drizzling - we had to back up under the hatchback of her SUV just to keep our panels dry!  I loved it.  Cold, wet, and shivering, I still loved it.  I was hooked.  I remember Teddy telling me, "If you can paint here, you can paint anywhere!"  She was right!  From 20 degrees to 106, I am out in it - and loving it.  I don't even feel the temperatures while I am painting.  Once finished, I often realize my hands are very cold - and they don't work right!  But, it just doesn't matter while I am in the zone!  I found the photo reference for this work while pouring over old photos.  The very first painting I did on location, I painted in acrylics - and did not get a good image of it.  It was my very first sale in Augusta, to a sweet couple from Indiana - just in town for the weekend.  That very first year, all of the trees were blooming - a perfect spring paradise!  I remember seeing these redbuds in town - and I set up my easel on the street a block to the north, and started painting.  While I worked, a young girl with long, curly hair came over to the center redbud - and started climbing the tree, even hanging upside down from it's branches!  A special place, with special memories........and it was only the beginning.  This painting makes 76 in 76 days :)

4 comments:

  1. Tammie, I am in love with your work. Your landscapes and buildings are especially wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faye! I am trying to paint at least one building a week, so I can improve my technique. I really love the landscapes, and the more I do, the more I want to include the place's architecture. It seems to mean more to me that way :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, yes. I remember that day like it was yesterday. Painting on location has been a wonderful experience and I know there is an amazing future ahead for us. Hoping that we will see some redbud to paint this year in Augusta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thin we just might! It has been quite a while since we have hit the spring bloom just right! I hope this is the year!

      Delete