Saturday, March 30, 2013

King of the Prairie

King of the Prairie
20x16, Oil over acrylic on panel
There is a wonderful buffalo farm not far from my home.  I try to go get reference photos whenever the lighting is especially cool.  Sometimes the buffalo are close enough to really see, and other times they are way back from the road.  I started this by completely underpainting in acrylic, and then going over that base with my oils.  I used quite a bit of palette knife work in the grasses for texture as well as interest.  I am going to let this one rest tonight, to look again with fresh eyes in the morning.  This painting makes 85 paintings in 85 days.  I never thought a 30 day painting challenge would lead me here :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow this is fantastic! I so admire people who can do landscapes as I find them really daunting. I'd love to be able to paint like you. Love the texture and marks in the paint and the colours are perfect thank you for sharing! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words, Nicola! I'm so glad you like it! I finished it late at night, and I was afraid it was getting a little too dark. I never know what I really have until the light of day the next morning :)

      Delete